It is impossible to imagine Palanga without the Sea Pier, a place attracting everyone. Beautiful scenery of dunes, yellow beaches and limitless sea open before the eyes of onlooker, the sounds of the sea and shrieks of seagulls fill in the air. Evenings may be comfortably spent on the benches with loved ones watching amazing sunsets.
At the end of the 19th century Palanga was ruled by Counts Tiškevičiai. They decided to build a dock for ships that could be used to transport bricks made in counts’ brickyard. The dock was built in 1884-1888 and vessel “Phoenix” cruised to Klaipeda and Liepaja. Later, when the export of bricks failed, the ship was used for transportation of passengers. Unfortunately, after storms the dock would be covered in sand, therefore, it was realized that the bridge was not suitable for navigation.
Since 1892, the pier became the most popular place for taking walks. Impacts of time, sea waves and wind destroyed this structure, thus, a new pier of 470 meters in length was built on concrete poles in 1998.
The sculpture “Jūratė and Kastytis” (sculptress N. Gaigalaitė) that became another symbol of the resort was built in the nearby square in 1961.